History of the Bells at Holy Trinity. Shortly after the building of the church in 1842, the Governors of the Free Grammar School of King Edward VI in Stourbridge offered to lend the parish a bell formally used in the school. This offer was accepted by the Vicar and Churchwardens, and the bell hung in the tower until 1859, when a dispute arose with the Governors concerning the bell and the parish was obliged to return it. In the same year the question of installing a ring of eight bells was considered, nothing came of this but a single bell weighing about 11 cwt. was purchased from Charles and George Mears of the Whitechapel Bellfoundry, London. This bell bore the inscription:- C. & G. Mears, Founders, London. Spes tutissima in coelis. John William Grier, Incumbent, Charles William Firmstone, William England,Churchwardens, 1859. The bell gave service until early in 1966 when it was removed from the tower in readiness for the installation of a new ring of eight bells given to the church under the terms of the will of the late Miss Agnes Egan of Wollaston.
Bell Tower & Ringing Room
The Agnes Egan Ring of Bells
The ring was cast by John Taylor & Co. of Loughborough, and the inscription on each of the bells is as follows:- 'John Taylor & Co. Founders, Loughborough 1965' Treble - weight 2 cwt. 1 qr. 4 lb. (256 lbs.) 'To the memory of Agnes Egan who gave this peal' 2nd - weight 2 cwt. 1 qr. 8 lb. (260 lbs.) 'To the memory of Orpah Egan' 3rd - weight 2 cwt. 3 qr. 1lb. (309 lbs.) 'To the memory of Christopher Turner' 4th - weight 3cwt. 17 lb. (353 lbs.) 'Remember Winston Churchill of the 20th Century' 5th - weight 3cwt. 1qr. 26 lb. (390 lbs.) 'Remember John F. Kennedy of the 20th Century' 6th - weight 3 cwt. 3 qr. 8 lb. (428 lbs.) 'Remember Pope John XXIII of the 20th Century' 7th - weight 5 cwt. 20 lb. (580 lbs.) 'Lewis Mervyn Charles-Edwards Bishop of Worcester 1965' Tenor - weight 7 cwt. 3lb. in 'B' (787 lbs.) 'I to the church the living call and to the grave do summon all'